Word: Working with headers and footersJune 4, 2012
A couple of colleagues have been baffled by how Word 2007/2010 now deals with headers and footers compared to Word 2003, so here are two methods for opening the header/footer area. Once you’re in the header/footer area, you can add a new header/footer from the list of available headers/footers, insert your own, edit an existing one, or delete it. You can also save your custom header/footer to the Header (or Footer) Gallery, but I won’t deal with that in this post.
Method 1: Double-click inside the header/footer area
The quickest way to open the header/footer area is to double-click in the very top (or bottom) area of your page, above the first line of text.
Method 2: Use the ribbon
- To open the header/footer area, go to the Insert tab.
- In the Header & Footer group, click the small drop-down arrow to the right of Header (or Footer).
Once the header/footer area is open, you can:
- add a default header/footer by choosing it from the list (if you can’t see the list of default headers/footers, go to the Insert tab > Header & Footer group, then click the small drop-down arrow to the right of Header [or Footer])
- add your own header/footer or edit an existing one by selecting Edit Header (or Edit Footer) at the bottom of the list
- delete the existing header/footer by selecting Remove Header (or Remove Footer) at the bottom of the list
- adjust the settings for the header/footer by using the tools on the Header & Footer Tools > Design tab (NOTE: This tab is ONLY available when you are in the Header/Footer area; if you are in the main document, you cannot see this tab and have to open the header/footer area to access these tools.)
- switch between the header and footer by clicking Go to Footer (or Go to Header) on the Header & Footer Tools >Design tab
When you’ve finished making changes, close the header/footer area using one of these two methods:
- Double-click inside the main document (i.e. outside the header/footer).
- Click the Close Header and Footer button in the Header & Footer Tools > Design tab.