Word: Remove a stubborn watermarkNovember 16, 2011
Here’s one I solved for a work colleague…
Word 2007 document with a stubborn ‘DRAFT’ watermark that won’t budge, despite going to the section and trying to remove it the usual way (Page Layout tab > Watermark > Remove Watermark).
Watermarks have always been stored as part of the header in Word, so:
- Double-click inside the section’s header to open it.
- Move your cursor over some of the letters in the watermark until it turns into a 4-way arrow.
- Click to select the watermark (you’ll see colored selection handles around the watermark text when it’s selected).
- Press the Delete key to remove the watermark.
- Repeat for all other sections that have a stubborn watermark that you can’t remove.
Update February 2013: If the watermark still won’t delete, trying saving the document as XML — see Amy’s instructions in the Comments below (14 Oct 2012).