Word: How to find out your printer’s printable areaMarch 10, 2011
I was interested in this official Microsoft Word blog post on using WordPad to find out your printer’s printable area: http://blogs.office.com/b/microsoft-word/archive/2010/09/03/print-borders-without-problems.aspx.
However, the information provided in this post didn’t work for me in WordPad on my Windows XP computer, nor on my Vista laptop.
Instead, I tried something similar in the various versions of Word that I have and I was able to see the minimum margins that my printer requires.
- Open a new Word document.
- Go to page setup:
- Word 2003: File > Page Setup
- Word 2007 and Word 2010: Page Layout tab > Margins > Custom Margins
- Set all margins to 0.
- Click OK.
- You’ll get a message saying the margins are outside the printable area (the message may vary slightly depending on which version of Word you’re using). Click Fix.
- Your printer’s margins will now populate the margin fields.
[Links last checked March 2011]