2010 blog statisticsJanuary 13, 2011
It’s a little late, but here are my blog stats/summary for 2010.
Sometime during 2010, this blog cracked the half million mark for total views of my posts since I started blogging in 2008. Wow! I can’t even comprehend that number. Sure, some people read more than one post, and a few may have read every one, but there were an awful lot of ‘hit and run’ readers — those who have a problem with Word or whatever, find one of my posts via Google etc., read the post, get what they came for (or not), and leave without checking out anything else. As at today (13 January 2011), the total view count is 595,141, which doesn’t include any of my views. And some 325,000 of those views occurred in 2010.
My average views per day are hovering around the 900 mark, with very obvious patterns such as fewer readers around US holidays, during traditional holiday seasons such as Christmas/New Year, and on weekends. From this, I can summise that most of my readers need to find out stuff while they are at work.
To 4 January 2011, I’ve written 1187 posts, of which more than 200 are about Microsoft Word. Not surprisingly, my Word posts have had the greatest number of views.
- Total number of posts written (from Dec 2009 to Dec 31 2010): approx 350 (just under one a day)
- Average views per month for 2010: Ranged from ~21,000 to ~34,000 (average 27,062)
- Average views per day (including weekend days) for 2010: Ranged from ~700 to ~1100 (average 890)
I analysed the posts receiving the most views for 2010 and compared them to the top posts for all time (2008 to 2010).
The top 10 in each list were almost the same, though the order changed a little. I didn’t include home page views in these statistics, and I only looked at posts that had more than 5000 views in 2010 and more than 10,000 views for all time (2008 to 2010). Only one post made it to the ‘over 10,000 views’ list for all time that didn’t make it to the over 5,000 views for 2010 list (Restoring an SQL Express database on another computer). Two posts had more than 5000 views in 2010 that weren’t on the 10,000+ all time views (Word: Add/remove highlighting with the keyboard [posted Feb 2009] and Word 2007: Citation and bibliography styles [posted Jan 2010])
Links to the top 10 posts:
- Word 2003: Create an automatic Table of Contents
- Inches to pixels converter
- Word 2007: Outline numbering
- Word: Automated tables of figures
- A picture is worth a thousand words
- Word 2007: Apply a template
- Outlook: Creating a hyperlink to a network file
- Word: Update fields in headers and footers
- Lost your Windows XP taskbar and desktop icons?
- Adobe PDF is missing from the menu
- 2009 stats: https://cybertext.wordpress.com/2009/12/31/revisiting-another-year-of-blogging/
- 2008 stats: https://cybertext.wordpress.com/2009/01/04/looking-back-on-the-first-year-of-this-blog/
[Links last checked January 2011]