Word 2007: Unlocking locked functionsNovember 18, 2010
I was testing a draft template for an entire business unit today and to say it’s locked down would be an understatement. But I won’t go into all the details otherwise I’d be here all day.
Most tool icons on the Clipboard, Font and Paragraph groups on the Home tab in Word 2007 were locked down, as were the ability to re-insert a Table of Contents, insert a section break, reapply a template, modify a style, apply a decimal tab, etc. Also locked down was the ability to use many standard Word formatting keyboard shortcuts (like Ctrl+B for bold).
However, I did figure out how to get most of them back by making a single change!
Here’s what the locked down template’s Home tab looks like:
The only active tools are Paste, Sort, and Show/Hide. That severely limits what you can do! You cannot manually change the text alignment of a paragraph with either the icon or keyboard shortcut (e.g. Ctrl+E to center a figure), you cannot apply highlighting to a particular section, you cannot change a table’s borders, etc. I can understand why some organizations want to lock down the styles, but to lock down all this other stuff as well? That just baffles and frustrates me.
To get back most of these locked down functions:
- Go to the Developer tab. (If you don’t have the Developer tab on your ribbon, click the large Microsoft Office button in the top left. Click Word Options. Click Popular. Select the Show Developer tab in the Ribbon check box. Click OK.)
- Click the Visual Basic icon (far left on the Developer tab).
- The top left panel should show This Document for the document you have open.
- Go to the Properties panel and find EnforceStyle. (If you can’t see the Properties panel, select View > Properties Window from the menu.)
- Change its value from True to False.
- Click the Save icon on the toolbar and close the Microsoft Visual Basic window.
- Go back to the Home tab — your Font and Paragraph group icons are now active, as are the functions to insert a section break, insert a table of contents, apply a template, insert a decimal tab, align paragraph text, modify a style, etc. And all the standard keyboard shortcuts for formatting are active again too.