Word: Unbolded caption numbersAugust 2, 2010
You insert an automated figure or table number and caption into your Word document and all appears fine. Your Caption style is set to bold. However, when you update the fields in your document, the caption remains bold, but the figure and/or table numbers become unbolded (is that a word? you know what I mean anyway).
So instead of Figure 1.1 <blah>, you now have Figure 1.1 <blah>.
Something is turning the bolding on and off. I had this on a document the other day, and it took some hunting to fix it.
Here are some possible solutions that may work for you:
Solution 1: Clear any manual formatting from the style
- Select the entire caption.
- Press Ctrl+Spacebar to return the formatting to that set by the Caption style.
Unfortunately, you have to do this to each caption… And when you update all fields again, it might come back (see Solution 3).
Solution 2: Make sure Preserve Formatting is selected for the field
The caption numbers are fields, so I suggest you turn on Field Shading first so you can see them clearly.
- Right-click each numbered field in each caption, then select Edit Field.
- Make sure the Preserve Formatting check box is selected, then click OK.
- Select the number that’s unbolded and reapply bold to it.
Solution 3: Look for a macro setting
If the numbers go unbolded after you update all the fields again, then there’s something else at play.
In my case, it was an ‘UpdateFields’ macro that had a .Bold = False line in it. I commented out the line by putting ‘ in front of it. Then I updated all the fields in the document. I saw the numbers go unbolded again (and sighed heavily!), but then I did the Ctrl+spacebar thing again to reset to the default Caption style, updated the fields one more time, and this time the bold stuck. I only had about 30 captions to do in that document so it didn’t take long (some of my docs have hundreds of captions…).
Anyone have any other suggested solutions?
- Fixing bold cross-reference numbers in the body of the document: https://cybertext.wordpress.com/2008/12/22/word-bookmark-cross-reference-formatting/
- Remove formatting from cross-references: https://cybertext.wordpress.com/2010/03/12/word-remove-formatting-from-cross-references/
[Links last checked February 2012]