Create a simple survey in Google DocsOctober 5, 2009
Did you know that you can create a simple survey using Google Docs? You need a Google account (such as a Gmail account), but that’s all.
Note: You can delete your survey if you don’t like how you’ve created it, but it’s much easier to mock up what you want on paper first.
- Open Google Docs (if you’re in your Gmail account, click Documents at the top of the page).
- Select New > Form from the menu.
- A new tab opens with the beginnings of your survey form — add your data, add more questions, change question types etc. In effect, you’re creating a simple database with field names and data types.
- When you’re finished, apply a theme.
- Then decide how you will distribute your survey — you can email it or embed it in a web page. Hint: Email it to yourself or a small group of testers so you can test it BEFORE emailing it to hundreds or thousands of people!
- At any time while you’re creating your form, you can preview what it will look like by clicking the URL at the bottom of the editing page.
Here’s one I created in about 5 minutes: