Word: When Restart Numbering doesn’t workAugust 27, 2009
Sometimes, no matter what you do, you just can’t get a numbered list in Word to restart numbering at 1.
Here’s a trick that works sometimes (I don’t guarantee this trick will work every time, but it’s a quick and easy thing to try):
- Put your cursor at the beginning of the first item in the list.
- Press Enter. The first item now moves down one to the second position and the first position becomes a blank line.
- Put your cursor at the beginning of the second item (was the first), and right-click.
- Select Restart Numbering. Your second item should now be number 1.
- Delete the blank line above it.