h1

Everyone can write, right?

June 12, 2009

So if everyone can write, then why would you need a specialist technical writer? Tom Johnson from I’d Rather Be Writing has answered this question far better than I could in his blog post “Can others do your job?

He lists some of the myriad activities involved in our work, stating that often we only spend 10% of our time actually writing. He asks if anyone else in the organization could do — or would be willing to do — the other tasks that take up 90% of our time. And if so, would they have the same level of commitment to those tasks as we do, as well as the expertise to do them.

He concludes:

Almost no one has time to write Help while fulfilling his or her regular responsibilities. If people do have time, they often lack the talent to communicate clearly.

Food for thought.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: