Vista: Ownership detailsJanuary 26, 2009
Did you buy a new Vista computer from a major manufacturer or supplier? Then it’s likely that the registered organization is still listed as Dell, Hewlett-Packard, etc. And your name may not be listed as the registered owner either.
You have to change a registry setting to put your own name and organization into Vista — this means you’ll probably need administrator rights to your computer.
- Click the Vista start button.
- Click Run (in the right panel).
- Type regedit then press Enter.
- If User Account Control is turned on, you’ll be asked for permission to continue — click Continue.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SOFTWARE > Microsoft > Windows NT then click on CurrentVersion.
- Check the names listed in the Data column for RegisteredOrganization and RegisteredOwner.
- If you need to change either of these, right-click on the item and select Modify.
- Enter the correct details in the Value data field, then click OK.
- Repeat for the other if it needs to be modified too.
- Close the Registry Editor window.