Style guides for science and engineeringJanuary 12, 2009
I’ve edited a lot of environmental science documents recently, and have discovered another world of style guides applicable to that type of writing.
Here are some resources you may find useful if you ever have to do this sort of writing or editing:
- Science and engineering style guides (from the Engineering Communications Program at Cornell University; there are lots of resources on this page!)
- National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST): Guide for the Use of the International System of Units (SI)
- SI Units and abbreviations from IEEE (PDF)
- List of style manuals from Diane Hacker. Published style manuals for all sorts of fields; some of these resources may also be online, at least in part.
- National Geographic Society Style Manual
(Thanks to members of the Lone Writer SIG of STC who alerted me to some of these.)
[Links last checked January 2010]