Word 2007: Apply a templateOctober 3, 2008
In earlier versions of word it was easy to apply a template via Tools > Options > Templates and Add-Ins. Not quite so simple in Word 2007, at least initially. However, once you’ve got yourself set up, it’s easy. Here’s how to set it up:
- Click the large Microsoft Office button in the top left.
- Click Word Options.
- Click Popular.
- Select the Show Developer tab in the Ribbon check box.
- Click OK.
Once you’ve got it set up:
- Click the Developer tab.
- Click the Document Template button in the Templates group. This opens the Templates and Add-ins window, which works the same as in earlier versions of Word.
- Click Attach.
- Select your template, then click Open.
- Optional: If you want to apply the template’s style settings to styles of the same name in your document, then check Automatically update document styles.
- Click OK.
Note 1: If you checked Automatically update document styles in step 6, then I STRONGLY suggest you turn it off again after you’ve attached the template and updated the styles automatically.
Note 2: Applying a template only affects styles. Other aspects of the template (content, headers/footers, page margins etc.) are not carried across into your existing document.