Acrobat 9 and Word: Outline numberingSeptember 12, 2008
There’s a trick to getting the numbers to display for an outline numbered Word document in Acrobat 9. I found the answer buried in the Adobe Forums:
This is what you have to do:
- Create a bookmark in the Word document (I put mine at the end and linked to anything on the Insert Bookmark list, but it doesn’t matter where you insert it).
- Save the Word document.
- Set your Acrobat Preferences for Word to Convert Bookmarks.
- Create the PDF.
- Check the Bookmarks—all your topics should now have their outline numbers! Yay!
- Go to the end of the outlined numbered list where you’ll find the Word Bookmarks list.
- Right-click on the Word Bookmarks list and delete it.
- Save your PDF.
Now to solve the problem of why a default font like Arial Bold does NOT display in the PDF… [grumble, grumble, grumble] Well, I didn’t solve the font issue, but I worked around it. The font was set to Arial Bold, with a Bold attribute, so I changed the font to Arial with a Bold attribute, figuring that maybe Acrobat was hung up on a bolded Bold!