Need to email to some addresses in plain text?September 2, 2008
Many older listservs (email discussion lists) don’t deal well with HTML or Word formatting readily available in mail programs such as Microsoft Outlook.
You can set all your mail to be sent out as plain text, but what if you like HTML email and only a few lists require plain text? Well, you can have the best of both worlds by specifying that certain recipients (your list’s posting address, for example) only get plain text.
- Open the Contact ‘card’ for the list’s address (or person), then double-click on the email address to open the Email Properties window.
- Select Send Plain Text Only from the Internet Format drop-down list, then click OK.
- Save the contact details.
- Open the Contact ‘card’ for the list’s address (or person).
- Right-click on the email address.
- Click the drop-down arrow for the More options icon (see screen shot below).
- Select Outlook Properties.
- In the Internet format field, select Send Plain Text only.
- Click OK to close the E-mail Properties window.
- Click Save and Close to close the contact card.
From now on, whenever you send an email to this address, it will be sent in plain text.
[This article was first published in the December 2005 CyberText Newsletter; updated for Outlook 2010 in March 2014]