Corporate/business bloggingJuly 3, 2008
Some months ago I was involved in a discussion with a company about corporate blogging. Should they do it or not? If so, what was the best way to go about it? What were the pitfalls?
Prior to that discussion I sent them a list of links that talked about many of these issues, and a set of questions they needed to ask and answer within their team.
- Will you have one blog (with several writers) or many (one per writer; e.g. MSDN)? How will you maintain ‘voice’?
- Who will write the blog posts?
- Who will maintain the blog?
- Who has the final say on what gets posted or not? Are there any controls or approvals prior to publishing?
- Will you allow comments? On all posts, or just some?
- Where will you host the blog? SUGGESTION: If you are a large company, host it yourself on your own website and link to it from your menus. Do not use an external blog host like Blogger, WordPress etc. (though you can use their install-it-yourself technology) if you are a large company.
- If you have photos, make sure they’re of real people at the company or the company’s events. ALWAYS get permission to use photos of people (internal or external).
- What will you write? PR stuff, events, general articles, “how to’s”, who’s doing what and where, new products/releases, future plans?
- What design will you use? SUGGESTION: Use the corporate look and feel or something close to it, or at least an obvious message that this is your company’s blog (e.g. MSDN, branded with the company logo).
Some of these resources may help:
- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporate_blog Wikipedia: a good overview of corporate/business blogging
- http://www.stay-sane.com/ebusinessnews/id/76 “Corporate blogs: Minefield or bonanza?”; towards the end there’s a list of guidelines
- http://www.clickz.com/clickz/column/1698204/corporate-blogs-measure-their-value “Corporate blogs: Measure their value”; quite a bit on measuring the ROI of corporate blogs
- http://www.inc.com/articles/2003/07/bblogs.html “Blogging for business”; the interesting stuff is about half way down starting from this paragraph: “Why all the fervor?…”
- https://www.socialtext.net/charleneli/corporate_blogging_policies: “Corporate Blogging Policies” with some general guidelines and links to some policies from large organizations.
- “15 companies that really get corporate blogging” Article from Josh Catone at SitePoint with some links to their recommended corporate blogs.
[Links last checked April 2013]