Backing up an SQL Express database to a fileFebruary 22, 2008
Backing up an SQL Express database to a file is a simple process… once you know what to do.
- Open SQL Server Management Studio Express and connect to the SQL server.
- Expand Databases.
- Right-click on the database you want to back up, then select Tasks > Back up.
- On the Back Up Database window, make sure the Database field contains the name of the database you want to back up.
- Select the Backup Type. By default, it is Full – leave it set to that.
- Click Remove to remove the default/last backup file name.
- Click Add to open the Select Backup Destination window.
- Click […] next to the File Name field.
- On the Locate Database Files window, select the folder where you want to backup file to go. By default, it is ..\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL.1\MSSQL\Backup.
- In the File Name field, type the name for this backup, with a .bak extension. For example, xyz_20080221.bak for a backup of the XYZ database created on 21 February 2008.
- Click OK to close the Locate Database Files window.
- Click OK to close the Select Backup Destination window.
- Click OK to start the backup. The progress icon displays in the lower left corner, and a ‘completed successfully’ message displays when its done.