Image maps in Author-it v5January 10, 2008
One of the other Author-it consultants created a video tutorial on how to create a clickable image map in Author-it version 4.x: http://www.pdaservices.co.uk/demo/im/imagemap.html
Here’s how to create image maps in Author-it v5:
Do these steps outside Author-it:
- Create the graphic.
- Use image mapping software to open the graphic and map the clickable hotspots on the graphic. [NOTE: Some graphics editors—such as PaintShop Pro—and some HTML editors—such as Dreamweaver—have image mapping capabilities, as do other applications such as MindManager. Check the applications you already have for this capability before purchasing or installing another application.]
- Save the modified graphic (e.g. xyz.png) and the associated HTML file (e.g. xyz.htm).
- Create a new HTML Code file object, based on the Linked HTML Code File Template (Author tab > Create command group > File drop-down arrow).
- Give it a Description (e.g. ‘XYZ – image map’).
- On the Web tab, navigate to and select the Directory where you saved the HTML file you created in step 3 above.
- In the File Name field, click the browse button and select the HTML file from the directory (e.g. xyz.htm).
- Click the Linked HTML sub tab.
- Click the [>>] button next to the Specify any additional file required field.
- On the Paths window, click Add.
- Navigate to and select the graphic (e.g. xyz.png).
- Click OK to close the Paths window.
- Click OK to close the file object window.
- Now that you’ve created the file object, you can drag and drop it in to any Author-it topic.
NOTE: File objects like this only work in Web outputs, not Print.