Various useful websites related to writingNovember 20, 2013
In my travels on the internet I find some interesting stuff about writing. You may find some of these useful.
- The royal order of adjectives: http://oilpatchwriting.wordpress.com/2010/12/22/the-royal-order-of-adjectives/ (yes, there really is an order for something like the ‘noisy little red car’ – you wouldn’t say ‘red little noisy car’, for example)
- The royal order of adverbs: http://oilpatchwriting.wordpress.com/2010/12/22/the-royal-order-of-adverbs/
- How to use an apostrophe: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apostrophe
- On the use (and misuse) of ‘about’: http://americaneditor.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/on-words-thinking-about-about/ (some of the comments are good too)
- Top 10 common misspellings: http://theoatmeal.com/comics/misspelling
- Top 25 grammar and language mistakes: http://www.prdaily.com/Main/Articles/Top_25_grammar_and_language_mistakes_10475.aspx
- How to use verbs (YouTube video; 2 minutes): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=997AGy7zJy4 (related to this: http://cybertext.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/keep-your-relatives-close/)
- Bits and pieces: http://oilpatchwriting.wordpress.com/2013/04/14/mini-tips-part-1/
Most of these websites are from the US, so some of the conventions used in Australia where I live may differ a little, but the principles will still apply.
[Links last checked November 2013]