Word: Changing a section break’s typeFebruary 18, 2009
You get a document. Someone has added section breaks, but they are all over the place — odd breaks, even breaks, continuous breaks, etc. You want to change a section break’s type from say ‘odd page’ to ‘next page’, but no matter what you do in Word the darned thing won’t change. There has to be an easier way than inserting a new section of the type you want and copying across all the content from the section you no longer want.
There is! And it’s super easy!
- Click inside the section you want to change — i.e. below the marker for the section break you want to change.
- Go to File > Page Setup on the menu.
- Click the Layout tab.
- In the Section start drop-down list, select the type of section you want to change it to (‘New page’ is the same as ‘Next page’ under Insert > Break).
- Click OK.
- Click inside the section you want to change — i.e. BELOW the marker for the section break you want to change.
- Go to the Page Layout tab.
- Click the Launch icon at the bottom right of the Page Setup group to open the Page Setup dialog box.
- Select the Layout tab.
- Select the type of section break from the Section Start list, then click OK. The section changes immediately.
[Updated 3 July 2009 to reflect Brad's comments below; if it still doesn't work try the suggestions from Steve (22 July 2011) and Cassandra (17 August 2014)]